What is bulletproof coffee?
Bulletproof coffee is made of coffee, grass-fed butter and MCT (Medium Chain Trigycerieds) oil. It is rich, creamy, and contains a lot of healthy fats. Unlike regular black coffee, it offers a lot more health benefits, including a catchy trend nowadays: weight loss. Which is why it is common in paleo or keto communities.
By the way, Paleo diet refers to an eating habit based on what people were eating during the Paleolithic Era, which is approximately 2.5 million to 10,000 years ago.
While ketogenic diet refers to a very low-carb and high fat diet. With this, carbohydrate intake is reduced and is replaced with fat, which then puts your body into a metabolic state called ketosis. Then the body becomes very efficient at burning fat for energy.
Now, back to bulletproof coffee. What’s good about it, is that it is science-based, proven and tested. It also has the following other health benefits:
- Gives a longer, steadier energy boost;
- Theoretically helps lose weight with the effect of the healthy fats from butter and MCT oil by stopping food cravings;
- MCT’s are easier to digest, unlike other types of fat;
- MCT helps you feel full, gives you energy and gives you a clear, focused mind.
How do you make bulletproof coffee anyway?
- Brew a pot of bulletproof brand coffee;
- Mix in a blender, the coffee, MCT oil and butter. You can also add salt and cinnamon;
- Blend until smooth and hot.
The bulletproof diet was created by Dave Asprey in 2014. He is a former technology executive, who spent years fighting to overcome obesity. The anti-inflammatory nature of the diet is to promote fast weight loss.
Will bulletproof coffee help my running?
Yes, bulletproof coffee helps in enhancing short and long distance running performance. The caffeine in it improves blood circulation, burn more calories and reduce muscle pain.
According to studies, MCT oil enhances endurance during high-intensity exercise and acts as a quick food source. The butter, which contains fatty acids, enhances the fat-burning effects of exercise. It also lends to extended release of coffee in the blood stream. This in turn, stabilizes blood sugar reaction and gives bursts of energy later on in the run.
It is advised that you take bulletproof coffee one hour before running to gain the best of it benefits.
What is the best drink to have before a run?
Keeping yourself hydrated before doing an extensive exercise, like running, is a really good practice. There are a lot of beverages you can choose from before running. Sports drinks, water, tea, maple water, chocolate milk, and yes, even coffee.
And since we are already on the topic of bulletproof coffee, here are some of the reasons why it might be the best drink to have before a run:
- Due to its caffeine content, it provides an energy boost;
- It has antioxidants;
- Some athletes prefer running without meals. Bulletproof coffee is a great way to stay energized without digesting any heavy meals.
- Running is one way to burn fats. Bulletproof coffee even aids in fat-burning;
- Butyric acid, which is contained in butter, helps heal the gut and directly lowers inflammation in the brain;
- Grass-fed butter has fat-soluble vitamins needed to support bones, cardiovascular system, immune system, vision, and more. In addition, having enough fats allows the body to absorb vitamins A. D. E and K from food;
- Last but not the least, it tastes great! It will feel better to run after drinking something that is yummy, right?
What is the best drink to have after a run?
The best drink after a run depends on how long you did the exercise. The purpose of drinking after a run is to restore fluid and electrolytes lost in sweat, provide protein to help repair damaged muscle tissue, and replace muscle fuel lost during the run.
- Water. This is for those who ran for less than an hour. Don’t wait until you feel thirsty before replenishing your body’s much needed water supply.
- Sports Drink. This is for those who ran for more than 60 minutes. This helps replace the carbohydrate stores after an hour of running. It also helps restore electrolyte balance.
- Chocolate milk for long runs. The simple carbohydrate will provide quick fuel replenishment, and the protein helps rebuild the muscles.
- Coconut water is also for those with a less than an hour run. It helps replace the natural electrolytes lost during exercise.
Is bulletproof coffee good for weight loss?
As mentioned in question #1, bulletproof coffee was invented by Dave Asprey. It was said that he weighed about 300 pounds (136.4 kg) in his mid-20’s. What better way to lose weight than to follow the footsteps of those who were successful in it, right?
However, one shouldn’t rely too much on bulletproof diet. Your weight depends on a lot of factors. These include your genetics, physiology and behavior. Asprey’s diet can be a helpful guideline but just because it works on him, does not mean it will be the same with everyone else. “Different strokes for different folks,” as they say. Whether it can help you lose weight depends on how many calories you consume and if you adhere to it.
That being said, it is still optimistic to look at the many benefits of bulletproof coffee listed in the above questions. Theoretically, it helps lose weight with the effect of the healthy fats from butter and MCT oil by stopping food cravings. It also contains MCT, which are easier to digest, unlike other types of fat. What’s more is that it helps boost your energy. If you are energized, you can do a lot of exercises, like running, which will in turn, help you lose weight.
How can I make vegan bulletproof coffee?
Dave Asprey’s original version of bulletproof coffee is made with unsalted, grass-fed butter, MCT oil and low toxin coffee. But if you want a vegan version, simply replace the grass-fed butter with coconut oil or coconut butter.
- Brew your organic coffee
- Mix about 1.5 cups of coffee with 2 tsp to 1 tbsp of MCT oil, coconut oil/ butter in a blender for 30 to 60 seconds until it is foamed and frothy.
- Pout into a mug and enoy!