With times progressing, even things such as making coffee has become easier for us to do.
Instead of making the traditional way, adding the water and coffee together in a coffee maker, we’ve now been introduced to appliances like the Keurig in the past few years.
A Keurig coffee make can bring simplicity and ease to making a coffee, tea, hot chocolate, or other hot beverage, but it also has its downfalls as well, such as mould growing in the water reservoirs of the machines.
What are black specks that people find in the water in their Keurig Coffee Machines?
Some people may see these little black specks and think that some coffee grounds or bits of tea have accidentally made it through the machine.
This is in fact wrong.
The little black specks that you see either coming out of the machine or in the water reservoir happens to be mould.
As sickening as it sounds, mould will grow on the inside of your Keurig if not cleaned regularly or if the same water is left in there for some time.
Can the mould make you sick?
Just like any other type of mould that grows, yes, it can make you sick.
Not only can it make you sick if the water is just sitting in there, but it can also make you sick if you’re ingesting the mould unknowingly.
Keurig machines can become full of bacteria that can harm you and your family if you’re constantly breathing in those toxins.
Sometimes you might not be able to see the mould, but you can definitely smell when something isn’t right.
At that time, it’s best to change the water and clean your machine.
How long can you leave water in the reservoir of your coffee maker?
Water should only be left in your coffee reservoir for one day.
You shouldn’t let water sit there, as it can be the cause and reason for the growth of harmful bacteria and mould.
Putting new water in your Keurig daily can ensure that you’re using fresh new water and not leaving the same water in there for too long.
How can you clean mould from your coffee machine?
The best way to go about cleaning out mould and cleaning your Keurig coffee machine in general is to take the water reservoir out and run it through the dishwasher.
It’s more than likely dishwasher safe, but check to find those words on the reservoir itself.
If your reservoir is not dishwasher safe, or you’d like to just make sure it’s extra clean, you can also try another tactic.
Filling the water reservoir with an equal mixture of water and vinegar or 1/4 a cup of baking soda and letting it sit for a few minutes is the first step to this process.
Then, take a tooth brush or any other small brush and scrub around at the inside and bottom of the machine.
After this is done, you should then run the solution through the Keurig itself with no K-cup.
This will help to clean out the rest of the machine.
After this, rinse with plain water and run that through a few times to get rid of all the vinegar.