This is an article about the relationship between coffee and temperature.
Did you know that over 700 people tried to sue McDonalds between 1982 and 1992 after being scalded by coffee?
Or that if your coffee is too hot, one of the first injuries is a burnt tongue?
Your tongue will burn at around 116 °F (or 47 °C)
Fortunately, because the tongue has such a good blood supply, it is one of the fastest healing parts of the body.
Now that we have looked at how serving coffee at the wrong temperature can be a costly mistake for some of our favorite brands to make, let’s get serious.
In the next section, I will explore if there is a perfect temperature to brew coffee at.
What is the optimal temperature to brew coffee at?
The NCA recommends that coffee is brewed at a temperature between 195 °F and 205 °F which is slightly less than the boiling point of water which is 212 °F.
The brewed temperature is different from the served temperature of coffee.
The temperature that coffee is served at is a very personal thing.
Some people like their coffee piping hot, others prefer to drink it when it has cooled a bit.
I am in the second group.
I hate very hot drinks because I haven’t got the patience to wait for them to cool down!
And unless you drink your coffee black, adding any kind of milk, cream, creamer or syrups will automatically cool your coffee a bit.
What is the science behind this?
It is between 195 °F and 205 °F that the best flavor compounds in the coffee grounds are most easily dissolvable.
If your water is hotter than this then you will dissolve the delicious flavor compounds and some other less desirable compounds.
If your water is colder than this, the flavor compounds in the coffee grounds won’t be dissolved enough to be released into the hot water and the coffee will lack flavor.
Importantly, these are the ideal temperatures for brewing coffee no matter what brewing method you use.
Well the exception is cold brew coffee…
Are you a pour over devotee?
Then make sure that your coffee is brewed when the water is between 195 and 205.
Or is it the French Press that floats your coffee boat?
Once again, in order to hit that coffee sweet spot, make sure that your water is between 185 and 195.
Unfortunately, making great coffee is not a one trick pony.
It relies on more than just a perfect temperature…
Once you have mastered the art of the perfect temperature, the next factor to look at is the size of the coffee grinds.
 BUNN HB Heat N Brew Programmable Coffee Maker, 10 Cup
The Bunn Heat N Brew is a modern and stylish looking coffee-maker that brews coffee at a temperature no cooler than 197.6 degrees Fahrenheit.
This statement, referring to a very specific temperature, can be made because the machine uses a digital thermometer to monitor the water temperature once the brewing process has begun.
A valve opens up only when this ideal temperature is reached. This means no coffee is brewed until the ideal temperature is reached!
The Heat N Brew is for those who prioritize perfectly hot coffee and don’t mind spending a little extra for it. Backed with a 3-year Warranty, the Heat N Brew is certified by the Specialty Coffee Association of America (SCAA) and is definitely worth the price because to be certified by the SCAA, a coffee-maker must meet stringent requirements including brew temperature.
Although general feedback on this machine has been overwhelmingly positive, one draw-back is that it takes 10 minutes to brew 10-cups of coffee.
This is a little bit slow for those who love their coffee brewed hot and quick.
Other features include a glass, shatter-resistant and drip-free carafe and auto warmer plate.
For coffee brewed at the ideal temperature, the Heat N Brew definitely delivers.
Interested? Buy from Amazon
 Cuisinart CPO-850 Pour Over Coffee Brewer Thermal Carafe
This machine is all about hot coffee!
From its brew method to method of storage, the Cuisinart CPO-850 delivers perfectly hot coffee in every aspect.
Being SCAA Certified, this machine ensures that coffee is brewed at approximately 200 degrees Fahrenheit (plus or minus 5 degrees).
This ideal temperature range is combined with precision brewing that pre-wets coffee grinds, letting them bloom and extracting the best flavour.
It comes complete with an all stainless-steel exterior with black accents, as well as a stainless-steel filter and carafe to match.
The stainless-steel carafe will keep your perfectly bloomed and extracted coffee hot for longer!
Other features include flavour / temperature control and a brew-pause function.
This mid to high-priced machine flaunts a beautiful design, and produces even more beautifully brewed coffee.
At the ideal temperature, water passes through a charcoal water filter and eventually into a stainless-steel thermal carafe.
It is perfect for those who love great coffee brewed at the correct temperature… although if you refer to yourself – or are referred to by others – as a coffee snob, it is important to note that the water’s brew temperature is brought up as the coffee brews.
This saves time, but is unlike machines that pre-heat their water.
Interested? Buy from Amazon
 Breville BDC450 Precision Brewer Coffee Maker
The story of the Breville Precision Brewer is quite literally precision brewing.
Starting with precise temperature (adjustable with a digital control) and brewing time, this machine meets all the standards of the SCAA and is the world’s first 60 oz. drip coffee maker.
You can choose between 6 unique brewing modes and it even holds a patent pending on its innovative automatic ‘Steep and Release’ valve.
This valve is used for brewing small amounts of coffee when the carafe is not in place.
In addition, you can control and customize such parameters as your coffees bloom time, flow rate and you have the choice of flat bottom or cone filter brew baskets… Breville even includes them both for you!
This, all-stainless beauty is definitely a high-end machine for high-end coffee drinkers and has an appealing aesthetic to match.
All-stainless refers to not only the machine itself but the option for a stainless-steel thermal carafe as well as opposed to glass.
This is often found with higher-end coffee-makers that know the importance of maintaining hot coffee once it has been brewed.
The Breville Precision Brewer is all about – again – precision, and getting the most out of your coffee, no matter what type you buy!
For some, the complexity of options with this machine can be daunting and they prefer something a bit simpler.
But if you are someone that knows coffee, and likes having options for even the fine details involved in brewing it, this machine is precisely what you are looking for.
Interested? Buy from Amazon
 Behmor 5393 Brazen Coffee Maker
The Behmor Brazen promises to brew great coffee using even the most ‘brazen’ of coffee beans.
With features like temperature control between 190 – 210 degrees Fahrenheit, this 8-cup brewer gives you a wide enough temperature selection for any type of coffee you choose.
So wide even, that it exceeds the requirements needed to be certified by the SCAA (which it is).
Your coffee grinds are sure to be fully saturated because they are first being pre-soaked and then showered with an oversized showerhead using a pulse flow; having the water stop and start intermittently as coffee brews.
This prevents water from standing still at any point during the brewing process and makes sure your coffee grinds are fully saturated with water.
The machine is black with stainless-steel exterior accents and is on the higher end of the price spectrum… for good reason.
Combined with great brewing techniques and technology, the Behmor Brazen includes a stainless-steel water reservoir and thermal carafe, thus making sure your coffee is not only brewed at the optimal temperature for taste, but without any plastic coming into contact with it.
If you love coffee that is brewed right and also love being able to choose from a variety of easy-to-use features, then you are the ideal customer for this machine.
One warning is that because this machine can brew coffee hotter than most, make sure the lid is on the water reservoir.
If you are not careful, you could get burned! But if you are brazened enough to try it, you can be sure to enjoy perfectly hot coffee at home, everyday!
Interested? Buy from Amazon
 Bonavita 8-Cup Coffee Maker (BV1900 TS)
The Bonavita 8-cup One Touch Coffee-maker uses a 1500-watt heater to maintain the perfect brewing temperature of 195 – 205 degrees Fahrenheit.
Its small, uncomplicated design matches that of its one-touch operation and is very affordable.
It is perfect for those who love great coffee brewed fast, and without a lot of fuss.
Complete with a durable stainless-steel thermal carafe, this machine makes brewing great coffee easy and any plastic used on it is completely BPA-Free.
It uses a pre-infusion mode that wets your coffee grinds prior to brewing to allow them to de-gas and improve their flavour quality.
Once pre-infused, a showerhead water flow is used to saturate coffee grinds with water in a flat-bottomed brew basket.
All of these simple design features makes it possible to brew coffee easily and efficiently.
On the flip side, its ease-of-use comes at the cost of lack of programmability and additional brewing methods.
With this machine, ‘One Touch’ means, one way. And although coffee is brewed correctly and at the optimal temperature, you may want a few extra options.
The Bonavita One-Touch has been recognized by the SCAA as a Certified Home Brewer and with such an easy-to-use system, this great one touch machine may also become certified as your day-to-day home brewer!
Interested? Buy from Amazon
 OXO On Barista Brain 9 Cup Coffee Maker
The OXO Brew 9-Cup Coffee Maker is recognized as an exemplary home brewer by the SCA (Specialty Coffee Association) for delivering rich, gold-standard coffee – every time. Just add water and ground coffee and select the number of cups to brew – the machine will handle the rest.
More features include:
- INTUITIVE LED DISPLAY: See brewing status, brewing time, and coffee freshness at a glance with LED display.
- MIXING TUBE: Internal mixing tube blends coffee as it brews, so your last sip is as delicious as your first.
- FRESHNESS: Double-wall stainless steel thermal carafe keeps coffee hot. Cone-shaped brew basket maximizes flavor extraction.
- WAKE-UP TIMER – Set a time, and this brewer will automatically start the cycle, so your brew is ready when you are!
- TEMPERATURE CONTROL: Water temperature is precisely heated and held at the perfect temperature for coffee (197.6-204.8F) throughout the entire brew cycle.
- BETTER BREW: Precision brewing controls temperature and brew cycles.
- SCA CERTIFIED: Certified by the Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) for gold-standard home brewing.
- Brewing temperature is very hot and brings out more flavor from coffee beans.
- It does not make much noise when brewing.
- Control is very easy to use. Has one button to control it all.
- Strong build quality, chic, and modern design; well-made from high-quality materials.
- All the parts are easy to remove/re-assemble, making cleaning a breeze.
- Does a good job filtering fine gritty grinds.
- Very easy to use and easy to maintain
- It’s expensive and brews slowly.
- It makes coffee that’s slightly bitter.
- Steam builds up in the water chamber after each use. You’ll have to leave the lid open for a couple of hours to let it evaporate.
 Technivorm 5961 Coffee Maker
Brew barista-quality coffee from the comfort of your kitchen! This coffee maker brews a full 40oz pot of coffee in six minutes. Coffee is held on a unique hot plate, which is engineered with a separate, independent element that rolls heat into the coffee to ensure an even taste from the first cup to the last drop.
More features include:
- AUTOMATIC BREW BASKET: The automatic brew-basket allows you to pull the carafe away and pour a cup without dripping from the brew basket.
- EVEN SATURATION OF COFFEE FROM 9-HOLE OUTLET ARM: The 9-hole outlet arm sprinkles water at 196°-205°F over your coffee, which ensures even extraction and a smooth flavorful cup of coffee from the first sip to the last drop.
- COOL WATER RESERVOIR: The Technivorm 5961 coffee maker has a 1.25L Water Reservoir. Fill it up and watch the water bubble up the glass tube and over your coffee grounds for delicious coffee in 4-6 minutes.
- POWER SWITCH AND HOT PLATE SWITCH: Coffee brewer has two switches, the one on the left controls the power and will turn off automatically after 100 minutes. The switch on the right controls the hot plate, click it to the right to hold coffee at 185°F or click it to the left to hold coffee at 175°F for 100 minutes while never burning your coffee.
- GLASS CARAFE: The glass carafe maintains coffee quality, integrity, and taste on a unique, independent hot-plate element engineered to hold coffee temperature between 175 to 185 degrees Fahrenheit for a maximum of 100 minutes and then automatically shuts off.
- Has a modular construction that makes most parts replaceable at minimal cost.
- Proper brewing temperature and extraction time make coffee rich and hot.
- Solid, superior build quality, with quality materials, perfect finish
- Very fast, makes an entire 10-cup (1.25 liter) pot under five minutes
- Easy to use, newbie friendly
- It extracts the most flavor out of the grounds, so you save more coffee grounds
- Looks pretty cool on the counter.
- Does not get all of the coffee grounds wet.
- Water does not come out of all the 9 holes in the spray head, especially the outer ones.
- It is expensive.
- Too much plastic used for the price.
 Ninja Speciality Fold Away Frother
Bring the coffeehouse home with the Ninja Specialty Coffee maker. Combine super-rich Coffee concentrates with hot or cold frothed milk to create delicious coffeehouse style drinks or enjoy flavorful Iced Coffee that never tastes watered down. Brew anything from a single cup to a half carafe or a full carafe using your favorite grounds—no pods required.
More features include:
- CLASSIC & RICH BREW: Classic brew is all about balanced flavor, while rich brew provides a more intense taste. Either style makes a perfect start to your morning.
- ICED COFFEE: Brew fresh over ice for flavorful ice coffee that’s never watered down.
- SPECIALTY BREW: Brew super-rich coffee concentrates you can use to create delicious lattes, macchiatos, cappuccinos, and other coffeehouse-style drinks.
- 6 BREW SIZES: Choose from single cup, XL single cup, travel mug, XL travel mug, half carafe, or full carafe.
- FOLD-AWAY FROTHER: Transform hot or cold milk into a silky froth in seconds with built-in frother.
- SCA CERTIFIED HOME BREWER: Ninja Specialty has earned the coveted specialty coffee association (SCA) certification for delivering the highest quality standard for brewing coffee at home.
- Stay warm feature keeps coffee hot for over 4 hours.
- Spot on design, functionality, and flexibility
- Ice coffee function is great
- Brew time is great; coffee is ready in minutes
- Drip-Stop function ensures no coffee drips from the basket
- Clean-up is super easy; parts can be easily detached and cleaned.
- Does not spill coffee all over the place when brewing,
- Makes great latte, cappuccinos, and regular coffee.
- Has different size options; small cup, large cup, half a pot, and full pot.
- Too much plastic material was used.
- Brews inconsistently sometimes.
- The carafe is not dishwasher safe, and it is very difficult to clean it properly.